Additional Fees

I have rented over a hundred cars in my life. Two hours after picking up the vehicle at Sky Harbor Airport Phoenix last month, I used the cheap remade key to open the trunk, but the key broke off in the lock.

Our luggage was trapped inside as they did not provide us the typical second key. We were 25 miles from the airport. We called Fox Customer Service 2 times and Fox Roadside Assistance 2 times that night. Each call, we were put on hold for 40 minutes with them ending with a recording saying, 'due to unusual call volume, they could not answer our call, but that we should leave a message and they would return the call next in line'.

Each time we left very distressing messages. Not hearing from them, we Uber'd across town to the airport to speak with the manager and get a second key. The manager did not have a second key, told us there was nothing he could do for us and told us to continue calling Fox Roadside Assistance. Our hotel, Holiday Inn North on Cactus Drive was great.

They gave us free toiletries for the night. The next day, starting at 5 am with no sleep, after 2 hours attempting to reach Fox (on line and by phone) I finally reached customer service and they said we were on our own. We hired a locksmith at $292 to open the vehicle and make two new keys. After our spoiled trip, we shared our story with Fox.

No response...No surprise.

Lesson learned...saving a couple dollars is not worth the risk of being stranded and without assistance and certainly no service. Learn from our mistake, rent from the big chains so you and your family are covered.

Product or Service Mentioned: Fox Rent A Car Car Rental.

Comments